St Michael's Church, Liverton

St Michael's Church, Liverton

Services are at St Michael's, Liverton on the first Sunday of every mont at 9am.

History of the Church

The Church of St. Michael, Liverton is A grade 2* listed building. The church is located within a small churchyard in the village of Liverton which is a conservation area. The church is accessed down its own private lane which terminates in a small car park just outside the churchyard perimeter. The churchyard contains ancient graves as well as modern one, five of the gravestones are grade 2 listed.

The building dates back to the 12th century and it is believed parts of it were damaged during the reign of Henry VIII. Parts of the church were rebuilt in the late C18 and a porch was added in 1902/3.

The church is constructed of dressed sandstone with a stepped plinth to the chancel. It has Burlington slate roofs with stone gable copings and cross finials. There is a Slate-clad timber bellcote. Nave, lower chancel with north vestry, and west porch.

An early 20th century square-plan bellcote rises from ridge at west end of nave. Battered sides below paired louvred bell openings and pyramidal roof, sprocketed at overhanging eaves, with metal cross finial.

There is Medieval stonework at the west end of the nave with offset angle buttresses on west face. Later medieval stonework is evident at the east end of north wall. There are the remains of a blocked 12th century round-headed doorway in the north wall of nave.

There are three early 20th century (1903-1915) windows by W.E.Tower in the nave with paired elliptical- headed lights, two on the south side and one on the  north side of nave. There are two single pointed windows in the west wall. There is a rectangular window with 3 trefoil-headed lights in the south wall of chancel. The east window (circa 1903) has 3 cusped pointed lights.

Gabled west porch has boarded double doors in round-headed opening. Foundation stone at south-west angle; cross finial on gable.

The interior walls are plastered. There is a round-headed twelfth century chancel arch which was raised in the early 20th century. It has double zigzag inner moulding, outer moulding of grotesques, and carved impost bands. Attached shafts have moulded bases, and capitals with elaborate carvings of mythical beasts, birds, humans and interlace, including the Expulsion from Paradise and a boar hunt.

There is memorial panelling in wood to members of Petch family c.1918 in the sanctuary. Also in the sanctuary is a 14th century grave cover with a geometric-patterned cross, sword and shield bearing lozenges in shape of cross.

The church has a twelfth century drum font on a 20th century octagonal stem and plinth, with late 19th century timber and metal cover.

Displayed in the Nave are 2 medieval bells with crown hangings, one with Latin inscription.

 

 


This church website is powered by Church Edit